Patty and I love buying the pre-roasted rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. Theyre typically 2-4 pounds, really convenient, and delicious. Well, these whole roasted chickens or chicken roasters are really easy to make on your own at home, and theyre usually a lot fresher.
Why are whole roasted chickens so damn good? The skin protects the meat from drying out, keeping it exceptionally tender and juicy on the inside with crispy golden skin.
How Long to Roast a Whole Chicken
A cast-iron skillet or oven large oven-safe pan is the best pan to roast a whole chicken. A 4-pound chicken will take about 50-55 minutes at 425 F, following a 15 minute rest period (in the skillet), before carving and serving. Just be sure the top of the chicken is about 10 inches from the heat source at the top of the oven.
Why the rest period? The 15-minute rest helps the juices redistribute throughout the meat, making the chicken juicier.
How to Season Oven Roasted Chicken
For my whole roasted chicken recipe, I use a simple lemon butter and garlic sauce with a rub of paprika, salt, and pepper. Season the whole chicken with salt and pepper and a generous coating of paprika. It will add flavor and give your chicken a tender orange glow.
Top with a mix of melted butter, garlic, and fresh lemon juice. A basting brush will help to evenly coat the chicken. The butter will help crisp the skin in the oven, making is golden and crispy.
Youll Also LovePrint
Delicious whole roasted 4 pound chicken, seasoned with paprika and based with garlic butter and lemon sauce. A Juicy tender inside with crispy golden skin.
- 1 4 pound whole chicken roaster
- 23 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven for 425 F.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Add garlic and lemon juice and stir. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from the package and rinse under cool water. Remove any bagged contents from inside the chicken if any. Pat the outside of the chicken dry with paper towels and transfer to an oven-safe skillet.
- Season the entire chicken with salt and pepper and rub with paprika all over. Baste all over with lemon butter garlic sauce until youve used it all (legs, wings, tops, sides).
- Transfer to the oven (with the chicken about 10 inches from the heat source) and roast for 55-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 F. When the juices run clear when you slice between a leg and thigh, the chicken is done.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes, lightly tented with foil IN the skillet for 15 minutes before carving.
Test with a digital themometer in a few places to ensure chicken reaches 165. Check top of the breast and sides.
This recipe is meant for a 4-pound chicken roaster. A 5-6 pound bird will take closer to an hour 15-20.
Keywords: whole roasted chicken, lemon butter roasted chicken