Who needs eggs, full of saturated fat and cholesterol when you can have a delicious tofu scramble for breakfast? Or lunch or dinner. Tofu is a great source of plant based protein as well as iron and calcium. Making tofu as a scramble is also the perfect opportunity to sneak some veggies into a picky toddler. Give it a try today, this is a recipe the whole family will enjoy!
- 1 14oz package of extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/2 of a medium sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of diced bell pepper(any color)
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped spinach and/or kale*
- splash of unsweetened plant based milk, we used Ripple
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add diced onion and peppers to a lightly oiled pan over medium heat and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Cook until the veggies begin to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chopped greens to the pan with the onion and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are soft and greens are wilted, about an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Crumble the block of tofu into the pan with the cooked veggies. Add nutritional yeast, turmeric and paprika. Cook the tofu down for 5-8 minutes stirring frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Add a splash of plant based milk, stir through and cook for an additional minute.
- Time to eat! Serve with home fries, avocado slices, multigrain toast or better yet all of the above.
Tip: You can omit any of these veggies or add some of your childs favorites. Broccoli and mushrooms are also great additions to tofu scramble.