Create zesty sizzling chicken fajitas for dinner or use them to make ahead meals for the week.
Here’s a quick and easy chicken recipe idea as flavorful weeknight dinner.
These skillet chicken fajitas are super simple to make on the stove and are bursting with flavor! My family is a big fan of fajitas because you can serve them in various ways and fajitas are hearty and filling. Plus, I was able to order the ingredients on Walmart.com for around $10 for a frugal made-from-scratch meal!
Instead of using a store-bought packet of fajitas seasoning, consider using this combination of zesty seasonings combined with a little lime juice for awesome flavor!
Be sure to read through to the end of this post to learn how how to turn them into satisfying make ahead lunches for the week. Tips like this make it so much easier to skip the takeout and enjoy a more thought-out homemade meal instead.
Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas
yield: 5 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
Make a batch of zesty chicken fajitas at home with a delicious mix of flavorful seasonings and sautéed bell peppers.
- 1.5 pounds fresh chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil, divided
- 3 bell peppers, any color sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- juice from one fresh lime
Pat the chicken dry. Mix all of the seasonings together, and coat the chicken. Set aside.
In a large skillet or sauté pan, heat up about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the peppers and onions and sauté until crisp-tender. Remove peppers from skillet, and set aside.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil, and add chicken. Add the lime juice over the chicken. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until cooked and no longer pink. Return the bell pepper mixture to the pan and toss all together.
Serve inside tortillas and desired toppings such as cheese, tortillas, and sour cream OR see below for an easy meal prep idea. Enjoy!
Extra helpful tips for making the best chicken fajitas:
- Use sliced beef and sliced chicken for a different steak and chicken variation. Chicken thighs will work great as well here. Shrimp can be used too for skillet fajitas!
- You can use your favorite skillet or sauté pan for this idea. I am using my new ceramic 5.5 quart Drew Barrymore saute pan from Walmart, and am loving the large size and nonstick surface.
- For spicier chicken fajitas, consider adding 1/2 teaspoon of dried chili flakes to the seasoning or add some sliced jalapeno to the bell peppers.
Easy meal prep idea:
Make fajita bowls by first preparing and distributing cooked brown rice, chicken fajitas, black beans, and corn into four food storage containers. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave when ready for a meal.
You can never go wrong with skillet chicken fajitas!
It’s an idea that is easy to customize and prepare on busy evenings. I like to warm up tortillas on the stove first and it them with the meat and bell pepper combo. Add all the fun toppings like avocado, cheese, and sour cream, and enjoy!