The big day is approaching and I have a great vegan (and gluten-free) Thanksgiving recipe for you. Ive been baking a lot of things with teff flour, but this time Ive gone with the whole grain. MyGluten-free Vegan Teff Stuffing topped with Roasted Butternut Squash and Candied Cranberries will make all your family and friends welcome to your dinner.
Whole teff cooks up close to a porridge, so you should be aware of that before you start this one. Im using it much like my oatmeal recipe for vegan oat sausage crumbles. First, you cook it up, then you add it to the saute to dry it out a bit. This takes about 10 minutes, so dont be surprised.
Stuffing is never very attractive in my humble opinion. It is delicious as most of the brown foods are. And if you read many of my recipes here or in my books, you know I have a soft spot for comforting, brown food.
I received a beautiful butternut squash in my CSA last week and knew it could dress this stuffing up. I put it on the top like a showpiece, but you can mix it in. It tastes great together.
Hursts Berry Farmssent me a ton of their fresh cranberries. Hopefully, youve already tried myInstant Pot Cranberry Sauce with A Touch of Apple Brandy. I decided to make a quick and sweet cranberry topping to really make it shine both in flavor and beauty.
I also want to introduce you to the local potter who made the beautiful white baker in the photos, Julie Olson from White Oak Pottery. You are going to see more of her work on my blog, because I bought 2 boxes of assorted goodies!
Gluten-free Vegan Teff Stuffing with Roasted Butternut Squash and Candied Cranberries
- 1 cup Maskal Ivory Teff
- 3 cups water
Candied Cranberry Ingredients:
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegan sugar
Roasted Butternut Squash Ingredients:
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons mild oil such as avocado or olive
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered rosemary or 1 sprig fresh
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or water saute to make oil-free)
- 1 small onion (minced (about 1 cup))
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and oil a baking sheet.
- Cook the TeffPut the Maskal Ivory Teff Flour and water in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the boil begins turn the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Stir, then remove from heat. Note: This can be made a day or two in advance.
- Roast the SquashToss the butternut squash, oil, and rosemary all together in a mixing bowl. Spread on prepared baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir the pieces around so they wont get burnt, and cook 10 minutes more, or until tender. Set aside for later. Note: This can be made a day or two in advance.
- Candy the CranberriesPlace the cranberries, water, and sugar into an uncovered small saucepan and bring just to a boil. Then turn to medium heat. Stir every few minutes until the cranberries begin to burst and most of the water has cooked off. Note: This can be made a day or two in advance.
- Make the SauteHeat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet (large enough to add all the cooked teff in a later step). Once the oil is hot, add the onion and salt and saute until translucent. Next add the garlic, mushrooms, poultry seasoning, and celery seeds. Saute until the mushrooms cook down.
- Put the Dressing Together and ServeTurn the heat to medium and add the cooked teff in large spoonfuls into the saute pan. Repeat until all the teff is mixed in. It will be sticky, but as you cook it this time, it will dry out a little bit. Chop the mixture up continuously with a large spatula.
- If your teff seems like its not drying at all, you can spread the mixture in a thin layer and flip pieces as they cook on one side. Be careful not to burn anything, you only want it just dry enough to mix with the saute ingredients.
- Once the saute is well mixed and looks like dressing, chop it up with your spatula one last time and put into a large serving bowl and level off the top with the back of your spatula.
- Place the roasted squash on the flattened top you just made and put the cranberries on top of the squash.
The post Gluten-free Vegan Teff Stuffing with Roasted Butternut Squash and Candied Cranberries appeared first on .