Lasagna is an Italian favorite that we’ve all come to know and love. It’s a classic comfort food that’s layered with tender lasagna noodles, meaty sauce, and creamy cheese filling with extra melted cheese on top, and a perfect, crispy crackly crust. Lasagna is perfect for entertaining a crowd or as a dinner for the holiday! This can be made in advance and freezes well.
I LOVE LASAGNA. It’s a perfect dish for entertaining. Every time I go to a party of some sort, I always looked for lasagna or any other baked pasta dish. I used 3 different types of meat for the meat sauce. Ground pork, veal, and beef were a perfect choice! You’ll commonly find it named meatloaf mix. I felt it gave more flavor than just ground beef. I’ve been working on a lasagna recipe for a few months now—writing down different recipes and trying to find the opportunity to test them. New Year’s Eve was a perfect time! After writing about 20 different meat lasagna recipes, I’d say this is the best lasagna recipe out there (tooting my own horn) since it gives the most flavor and texture. The secret: red wine!
How to make Ultimate Meat Lasagna
While this does take a while to prepare, the result is so worth it. Make the lasagna a day in advance and bake it off the next day. (Full ingredient amounts and complete instructions are available in the recipe card down below).
- Lasagna Noodles: You can use no-boil noodles!
- Meatloaf Mix: The mix consists of ground pork, ground veal, and ground beef. It’ll come in either 1 pound or 1 1/2 pounds. You can use all ground beef if you really want.
- Ricotta Cheese & Mozzarella
- Crushed Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, & Tomato Paste: This is used to make the meat sauce. If you wanted to skip making the sauce from scratch, you can use jarred sauce and add the cooked meat to it instead.
- Onions & Garlic: Used in the meat.
- Red Wine: The secret success to my lasagna! I used cabernet sauvignon, but any dry red wine will work.
- Fresh Parsley & Basil, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Instructions will be available in the recipe card below. I can’t make it short and sweet!
Tips & FAQs
Storage: Store in an airtight container or in the baking pan in the fridge for 3 days.
- Make Ahead: This can be assembled up to 2 days in advance. You can also freeze it before or after baking!
- Freeze: Store lasagna (either uncooked or cooked) in the freezer for up to 3 months, covered in foil. I would recommend using a disposable 9×13 aluminum pan for assembling the lasagna in if you are planning to freeze it.
- From Frozen: To reheat frozen uncooked lasagna, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then bake according to recipe instructions. To reheat frozen cooked lasagna, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat in the air fryer, uncovered, at 350F for 5-10 minutes, or in the microwave for a few minutes.
- From Fridge: Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat in the air fryer, uncovered, at 350F for 5-10 minutes, or in the microwave for a few minutes.
- Can I use no-boil noodles instead of cooking lasagna noodles? Yes! Skip the steps of boiling the noodles and shocking them in cold water. Make the sauce and ricotta mixture as instructed. Assemble the lasagna as instructed.
Want the recipe? Click print below! Let me know how it came out for you by tagging me on Instagram (@missravenskitchen) and using #missravenskitchen! Follow my Facebook page for updates as well! Let me know if I need to tweak anything.