This is the best chicken and broccoli casserole ever! My family has been making this creamy, cheesy, and chicken broccoli casserole for years. I know for sure it’s been over 50 years and the family still loves it. Some of the ingredients have changed over the years but we never get tired of making it.
Thank you for letting me share my homemade recipe with you. I’m working on a cookbook and this makes it one step easier for me. I used a Corningware pan today from my daughter’s cupboard. I love these pans! This chicken casserole recipe is truly comfort food for all to enjoy!
Items You May Need In The Kitchen
Chicken And Broccoli Casserole
- Broccoli: Vegetable known for its green head, stalk, and small leaves. High in fiber, iron, vitamin K, vitamin C, and potassium.
- Chicken (I used rotisserie chicken): I love to use rotisserie chicken that can be bought at the store. It’s cooked and has a delicious roasted flavor! It’s ready to be cut up into bite-sized pieces! Cooked chicken can also be used.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: A savory and smooth creamy chicken soup made of chicken stock, seasonings, small bits of chicken, celery and cream.
- Mayonnaise: Also known as “mayo.” A thick and creamy sour dressing made of eggs, oil, and vinegar or lemon juice.
- Lemon Juice: Used to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients; gives the boost of lemon zest flavor we all love! It helps to lock in the moisture in the chicken and broccoli casserole and adds a little tartness.
- Curry Powder: Adds a delicious savory and deep umami flavor to the casserole! Gives the perfect kick of spice! Generally made of cumin, ginger, turmeric, and black pepper.
- Grated Colby Jack Cheese: A very smooth, moist, and mild cheese. It is the perfect choice for this chicken and broccoli casserole due to its melting capabilities which helps to combine all of the ingredients together.
- Frosted Flakes or Corn Flakes: The perfect topping! Use Frosted Flakes for a sweeter crunch and Corn Flakes for a more mild yet savory crunch.
- Butter: Due to the fat content, butter helps to produce a softer sweet potato and enriches the flavor. It browns the sweet potato casserole while cooking.
Chicken And Broccoli Casserole Recipe
Step One: Gather Ingredients
Gather the ingredients so you’re ready to make this recipe. Preheat oven to (350°F) = (176°C) degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch pan.
Step Two: Cook the Broccoli
Cook the broccoli as directed on the package and drain the water completely.
Step Three: Combine the Sauce Mixture
Combine the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder, and grated cheese in a large bowl.
Step Four: Stir Thoroughly
Stir until thoroughly mixed together.
Step Five: Grease the Baking Dish
Grease your baking pan and spread the cooked broccoli evenly in the pan.
Step Six: Cover the Broccoli with Chicken
Add the chopped or shredded cooked chicken on top of the broccoli florets. I used rotisserie chicken today.
Step Seven: Scoop the Creamy Mixture Over the Chicken
Scoop the creamy sauce on top of the cooked chicken layer.
Step Eight: Crush The Frosted Flakes
Use a rolling pin to crush your frosted flakes or cornflakes.
Sprinkle the frosted flakes over the casserole. Drizzle melted butter over the casserole.
Step Nine: Bake The Casserole
Preheat oven to (350°F) = (176°C) degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch pan.
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 3 packages of frozen broccoli, cooked and drained
- 5-6 cooked and diced chicken breasts or 3 cans of chicken, drained
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1-1/2 cups crushed frosted flakes or corn flakes sprinkle on casserole before baking
- 1/2 cup butter melted, drizzle on frosted flakes
- Gather all of your ingredients. Preheat oven to (350°F) = (176°C) degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch pan.
- Place the broccoli in the pan, and cover it with the chicken.
- Combine the chicken soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder, and cheese in a bowl. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop the mixture over the chicken and cover with frosted flakes.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the frosted flakes on top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy.
How do I store the leftover chicken and broccoli casserole?
I store the leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze chicken and broccoli casserole before baking it?
I wouldn’t recommend it because the mayonnaise may become runny. It’s better frozen after it’s baked.
Could I freeze the leftover chicken and broccoli casserole?
Yes, I freeze this recipe in serving sizes in an airtight container for 2-3 months.
Is it okay to put raw chicken in the recipe?
No, it’s not safe to put raw chicken in this recipe because the temperature of the meat may not reach the temperature it should be when fully cooked. This recipe is basically reheating the cooked ingredients.
Can I put raw broccoli in the recipe?
Unfortunately, no you can’t or the recipe will be more like soup because the broccoli needs to be drained from the excess water it excretes after cooking it.
Why is my chicken and broccoli recipe watery?
Your broccoli more than likely was not cooked enough or drained long enough. I use a paper towel to push the liquid out of the broccoli after cooking it.
Could fresh broccoli be cooked without boiling it?
Yes, you can microwave it or steam it.
What can I serve with this casserole?
Could I use Ritz crackers instead of Frosted Flakes?
I have used crushed Ritz crackers on top of the casserole before I drizzle the butter on top.
Would cream of mushroom soup work instead of cream of chicken soup?
Yes, you can trade out the soup for cream of mushroom soup but it will give it a little different taste. This is what’s great about cooking from scratch, we can substitute whatever works.
What kind of cheese can I use in this chicken and broccoli casserole recipe?
I typically use grated colby jack cheese. I have used cheddar cheese, Mozzarella cheese, and even sharp cheddar cheese. I like all three choices of cheese.
Are there additional spices I can use when making this chicken and broccoli casserole recipe?
Thyme, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little salt.
Please let me know if you make this chicken and broccoli casserole. I’m hoping to put together a cookbook for my readers. Yes, it will take me some time to do this, but I’m determined to do it. I love easy-to-make inexpensive recipes that families can make and enjoy. May God Bless this world, Linda