If you’re looking for a simple recipe for entertaining, my Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread is the one for you!
This creamy cheese spread or dip is loaded with fresh herbs, garlic and parmesan cheese. Plus it takes to less than 15 minutes to prepare!
If you’re a fan of garlic herb cheese spreads like Boursin, then you’re going to love this economical, homemade version! I love serving this on an antipasto platter alongside my Grissini Breadsticks, Homemade Crackers, Marinated Warm Olives and Italian Fried Peppers.
This recipe for garlic cheese spread is as easy as combining together regular cream cheese with parsley, chives, garlic, milk and parmesan cheese. The end result is a deliciously savory and zingy cream cheese spread that will go with almost anything.
My Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread is delicious enjoyed as a savory snack with crackers, spread on toast or tossed through some warm, al dente pasta as a simple sauce. You could even add a dollop to soups and stews for extra seasoning. It’s so versatile!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- This garlic and herb cream cheese spread is so easy and fast to make! In no time you’ll have it ready.
- It’s packed with flavor from the fresh herbs, garlic and parmesan cheese.
- This garlic cheese spread is so versatile! Stir it through cooked pasta, serve as a dip or add it to soups for extra flavor.
- Whether you’re serving this to adults or children, it’s always a crowd pleaser!
For complete ingredient quantities and full instructions, please scroll to the printable recipe card bottom of the page.
- Cream cheese - just regular cream cheese. Full fat is best for this spread recipe. I find the branded cream cheese is of a better quality than store brands but use what you prefer.
- Milk - again, full fat is best for this garlic cheese spread. Milk is optional. If you prefer a more firm spread, reduce the milk or leave it out altogether.
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese - also known as parmesan cheese. I recommend buying a block of cheese and grating it as you need.
- Parsley - fresh parsley is available readily at all supermarkets in bunches.
- Chives - again you’ll find fresh chives at all supermarkets.
- Garlic clove - select a garlic clove that looks fresh and juicy.
- Salt and ground black pepper - nothing fancy here.
Whizz the cream cheese in a small food processor until smooth and creamy.
Add milk and process to combine.
Add remaining ingredients and process to combine.
Scoop into a serving bowl and chill for 20 minutes until firm
Hint: Add only enough milk to achieve the consistency you like. Less if you prefer a firmer, thick spread. More if you're looking for a soft, creamy consistency.
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese - you could substitute Pecorino Romano Cheese for this garlic herb cheese spread.
- Garlic clove - if you don’t have fresh garlic, you could try using ½ teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- Fresh herbs - instead of using fresh parsley and chives, try replacing them with another fresh herb like mint, dill or thyme.
- Spicy - try making a spicy version by adding some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the cream cheese spread.
- Dried herbs - you could make this recipe with dried herbs instead. Add a teaspoon dried dill, a teaspoon dried parsley, a teaspoon dried thyme or a teaspoon dried basil.
- Decadent - if you’re serving this garlic cheese spread straight away, substitute unsalted butter for the milk. This will make it incredibly rich and indulgent. You could also add a dollop of cream for good measure.
A food processor is best for this garlic cheese spread recipe. However, you could use an electric hand mixer to combine the ingredients together instead or a wooden spoon and a bit of muscle.
Store the garlic herb cheese spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
My Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread also freezes well. Store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. When you’re ready to use it, remove from the freezer and allow it to defrost.
It’s important to have the cream cheese at room temperature so that it whips up smooth and creamy.
Be sure to finely chop the garlic and herbs so they are well distributed throughout the mix.
If you’re serving this spread straightaway, it will be much looser and smoother - perfect as a dip! However if you would like it a little firmer, I recommend making it ahead of time and storing it in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
The flavors of this Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread will develop on standing. For a more promient flavor, prepare this spread in advance and store in the fridge until serving.
This spread is creamy and smooth. However, if you prefer a firmer consistency reduce the amount of milk added to the cream cheese. Or leave it out altogether.
Making my Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread is so easy! Simply follow my recipe below which combines cream cheese, milk, parmesan cheese, herbs and garlic in a food processor. Use an electric hand mixer or just a wooden spoon if you prefer.
Boursin is the brand of a very popular garlic and berb cheese spread that you can buy at the grocery store. If you like this cheese, then you’ll love my recipe for homemade garlic cheese spread! It’s so simple to prepare and much tastier than the store bought variety.
Yes! Philadelphia is a popular brand that sells cream cheese which is the key ingredient in this garlic cheese spread recipe. Cream cheese is often referred to as Philadelphia cheese.
I love serving my Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread alongside my sliced Semolina Bread or Pesto Bread as an antipasto. But it would also be wonderful lengthened with a little pasta water and tossed through cooked Tonnarelli Pasta as a simple pasta sauce.
Made this recipe?
Let me know if you liked it by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and a review below. Please share a photo of your creation by tagging me on Instagram @marcellina.in.cucina!
Herb Garlic Cheese Spread Recipe
- 8 ounces (226 grams)cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon (30 mls)whole milk
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 garlic clove minced or crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- Cut the cream cheese into large chunks and put into the bowl of a small food processor.
- Process the cream cheese for 30 seconds or until creamy.
- If you're looking for a soft consistency, add just a little splash of milk and process to combine. You can add more milk to achieve the consistency you prefer.
- Add remaining ingredients and process for 30 seconds to 1 minute until smooth and well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Scoop into a serving bowl to serve immediately. Or chill for at least 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop and the garlic and herb spread have a firmer consistency.
- Serve with crusty bread and grissini breadsticks.
- Have the cream cheese at cool room temperature so that it softens.
- Chop the garlic and herbs finely for even distribution.
- Reduce the amount of milk added if you prefer a firm consistency.
- You can chill the spread in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
The post Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread appeared first on Marcellina In Cucina.